Using thieves oil for a sore throat is a great way of supporting your immune system, while also soothing the pain and dryness that comes with a sore throat.
Now, if you’re not familiar with thieves oil, it’s an essential oil blend that usually contains:
- Cinnamon oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Clove oil
- Lemon oil
- Rosemary oil
All of these ingredients are anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and immune boosting, which is why they work so well for sore throats!
So, if you’re interested in learning how to use thieves essential oil for sore throat relief, then keeping reading!
By the end of this post you will know:
- the main benefits of thieves essential oil for sore throats.
- how to safely use thieves oil as sore throat remedy.
- where to get thieves oil (or make your own if you prefer!).
Note: this post contains some affiliate links and I may earn a commission if you use them.
HOW THIEVES ESSENTIAL OIL HELPS SORE THROATS
Thieves oil has a variety of benefits that include:
- fighting inflammation.
- killing bacteria, viruses and fungi.
- boosting the immune system.
- relieving pain.
- improving circulation and congestion.
- fighting oxidative stress.
In a previous post on how to use essential oils for sore throat, I discussed the benefits of each oil in the thieves blend in greater detail.
Here’s a quick summary for you so that have an idea of what each oil brings to the table:
|Cinnamon||anti-inflammatory, improves circulation and congestion|
|Clove||relieves pain, immune booster, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial|
|Lemon||immune booster, supports detoxification, anti-microbial|
|Rosemary||anti-inflammatory, relieves pain, anti-viral, antibacterial|
TIPS ON HOW TO USE THIEVES OIL FOR THROAT PAIN
There are 5 ways you can use thieves oil to get rid of a shore throat:
- make a throat spray
- diffuse the oils
- do a steam inhalation
- make a throat rub
- gargle the oils
1. Make A Thieves Oil Spray for Sore Throat
A thieves oils throat spray is a flexible, on-the-go option for treating a sore throat.
Here are the steps for making your own spray.
20 drops thieves oil
2 oz glass spray bottle
- Fill the bottle with water and then add in the essential oils.
- Close the bottle and shake to blend the ingredients.
- Spray one or two pumps towards the back of your throat as necessary.
2. Steam Inhalation
- In a bowl full of very hot water, add 3 to 7 drops of thieves oil.
- Lean over the bowl and drape a towel over your head.
- Inhale the vapors for approximately 10 minutes.
Note: if the vapor feels too intense, remove the towel.
3. Diffuse Thieves Oil For Sore Throats
- Place 5 drops of thieves oil in your diffuser.
- Diffuse for no more than 30 minutes.
- Make sure to take at least a one hour break before diffusing again.
4. Make Your Own Thieves Oil Throat Rub
Since thieves oil contains photosensitive oils (like lemon) and known skin irritants (like clove and cinnamon) start with a 1% dilution when making a throat rub.
If no skin irritation occurs, you can increase to 9 drops of thieves oil (2% dilution) or 13 drops (3% dilution).
4 drops of thieves oil
1 tbsp (1/2 oz) olive oil
1 oz glass bottle
- Add the essential oils and olive oil into the glass bottle.
- Close the bottle and shake to blend ingredients.
- Massage over the throat and neck area several times a day.
5. Gargle Thieves Oil
Can you gargle with thieves oil? You bet you can and here’s a simple way to do it.
- Add 3 drops of thieves essential oil into 1 tablespoon of warm water.
- Gargle for up to 30 seconds.
- Repeat every 4 hours.
What drink helps a sore throat?
Warm drinks like tea are best for sore throats
In addition, a glass of warm water with lemon, or warm broths and soups, are also perfect for soothing a sore throat.
Can I make my own thieves oil?
Absolutely you can! Here’s an awesome thieves diy recipe you can use.
Is thieves oil safe for pregnancy?
Thieves oil contains cinnamon and clove oil, which are not safe for pregnancy. Therefore, it’s best to avoid using thieves essential oil while pregnant.
What can I do for a sore throat while pregnant?
When it comes to essential oils you can use lavender, tea tree, ginger, eucalyptus, sandalwood and peppermint oils during pregnancy.
They’re all great for sore throats. Be sure to read this guide on essential oils for pregnancy for details on how to properly dilute oils during pregnancy.
In addition to essential oils, the American Pregnancy Association also recommends drinking warm tea and gargling salt water.
As we’ve seen the essential oils in thieves are just what your body needs when a sore throat strikes.
Now, before we wrap up, keep in mind that are various brands that make this blend.
The most famous is the Four Thieves blend by Young Living.
However, there are other brands to choose from.
And as you can see, each brand has slightly different ingredients.
|BRAND + OIL||INGREDIENTS|
|Young Living: Four Thieves Oil||cinnamon, eucalyptus, clove, lemon|
|Eden’s Garden: Fighting Five||cinnamon, eucalyptus, clove, lemon, rosemary|
|doTerra: OnGuard||cinnamon, eucalyptus, clove, wild orange peel, rosemary|
|Plant Therapy: Germ Fighter||cinnamon, eucalyptus, clove, lemon, rosemary|
Personally, I’m a fan of Eden’s Garden and Plant Therapy mainly because both companies (and many others out there, by the way) have GCMS test reports that are publicly available.
GCMS reports are the most basic report for verifying the quality of an oil. And while these tests are not perfect, they’re the basic standard in the essential oil industry.
Personally, having access to those reports affects my buying decision.
But we all have different factors that affect what we buy. So, if GCMS reports are not a key factor for you, then feel free to go with the brand that is most convenient for you!
Now, that you’ve read through these tips and tricks, save this post so that you can quickly refer to them when the need arises.
And if you have any questions or comments about how to use thieves oil for a sore throat, just drop a comment below!