In a previous post we looked at the top 10 causes and symptoms of estrogen dominance. Now, it’s time to take things to the next level by diving into how to eliminate estrogen dominance naturally.
All of the tips in this post focus mainly diet and lifestyle because they are the fastest way to reducing estrogen naturally.
By the end of this post you will have actionable steps that you can take when it comes to:
- essential oils
- stress management
- personal care and beauty products
Note: this post contains some affiliate links and I may earn a commission if you use them.
ESTROGEN DOMINANCE TESTING
If you’ve already done testing to confirm that your estrogen levels are high, you can skip this section.
However, if you have some symptoms of high estrogen, but you’re not sure whether you’re officially estrogen dominant, then this section is for you.
The most basic way to test for estrogen dominance is to check the 3 types of estrogen:
- estrone (E1)
- estradiol (E2)
- estriol (E3)
A blood test, urine test or an at-home saliva test can be used for this.
This basic testing gives you an overview of where each estrogen sits.
However, since estrogen dominance occurs when estrogen and progesterone ratios are out of balance, it’s a good idea to do a progesterone test as well.
Doing an estrogen and progesterone test gives you a more accurate, holistic picture of where your hormones sit.
Note: You can work with a functional medicine doctor, naturopathic doctor or medical doctor on your testing. Just be aware that different doctors tend to do different tests. Some doctors may even test cortisol, DHEA and other hormones. It all depends on your symptoms, the doctor and how much you advocate for yourself.
7 TIPS TO REVERSE ESTROGEN DOMINANCE NATURALLY
1. Take a DIM Supplement to Eliminate Excess Estrogen
If you’ve been wondering how to lower your estrogen levels with supplements, then it’s time to meet DIM.
DIM (diindolylmethane) is a natural compound found in cruciferous veggies (such as cabbage, kale and cauliflower).
When you take DIM in supplement form, it:
- helps your body metabolize estrogen.
- supports a healthy ratio of “good” and “bad” estrogens.
In addition, DIM can improve acne, support a healthy metabolism (for weight loss), provide relief from menopause symptoms (source) and reduce inflammation (a major cause of estrogen dominance).
The DIM supplement that I recommend using is Genius Estrogen Balance from Amazon.
2. Increase Your Consumption of Cruciferous Vegetables
Cruciferous veggies are a great source of sulfur-containing compounds called glucosinolates.
Glucosinolates are very beneficial for supporting the liver’s detoxification work (a MUST for getting rid of any excess estrogen and other hormone disruptors).
To help lower your estrogen levels, add the following cruciferous veggies to add your diet:
- bok choy
- brussel sprouts
- collard greens
- mustard greens
Now, as I mentioned in the previous point, DIM (the main ingredient in the supplement listed above) is also found in cruciferous veggies.
So you might be wondering, “why take the supplement when I could just eat cruciferous veggies (or vice versa)?”
Well, the truth is you get better results when you combine cruciferous foods with a DIM supplement.
You see, the whole veggies contain vitamins, minerals, enzymes and other nutrients that can’t be perfectly bottled up.
As for the supplement, it allows you to get more DIM than you could from food alone.
Combined together, you can really amplify your results!
3. Support Your Body With Essential Oils for Estrogen Dominance
Essential oils are can help lower your estrogen levels because they provide relief from the physical and emotional effects of excess estrogen.
The power of essential oils for estrogen dominance lies in the fact that they affect pathways in the body that are related to stress and relaxation.
So, in the same way that meditation or journaling can reduce stress, essential oils can also trigger a sense of relaxation in the brain.
Ultimately, that sense of relaxation affects pathways that are responsible for hormone regulation.
Not bad for just a few drops of oil, right? 🙂
Another benefit of using essential oils for estrogen dominance is that they support detoxification.
For estrogen dominance, choose from these essential oils:
- Lemon essential oil
- Grapefruit essential oil
- Vitex essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Clary sage essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
- Ylang ylang essential oil
For details on how to use these oils safely and effectively, read this post on essential oils for estrogen dominance.
4. Boost Your Liver’s Detox Powers with Whole Foods and Herbs
Your liver has the heavy task of filtering your blood and cleaning out 100% of the junk that is messing with your hormones.
So, in order to reverse estrogen dominance symptoms, it’s important to show your liver some TLC with foods like:
- healthy fats (such as avocados, raw nuts and seeds, and so on)
- berries (such as blueberries, raspberries, goji berries and strawberries).
- green tea
- cruciferous veggies
In addition, don’t forget to use herbs for your liver.
Dandelion, milk thistle, oregon grape root, chanca piedra and schisandra berries are some of the herbs that you can use for liver support.
The most convenient way to enjoy these liver-friendly herbs is in a tincture.
Since tinctures are a liquid, you absorb more of the ingredients than you would from taking a pill. And it also works faster!
To get started, go with this liver tincture which combines powerful herbs like dandelion, milk thistle, angelica and chanca piedra.
5. Maintain A Healthy Gut
Since gut bacteria play a role in the production and elimination of estrogen, it’s important to include gut-friendly foods in your estrogen dominance diet.
A great place to start is with fermented foods and drinks. Here are a few to try:
- Sauerkraut (and other fermented veggies)
- Yogurt (organic dairy or coconut yogurt)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Fermented soy foods (see the next section below)
For more gut health tips, check out this post on gut health and hormone balance.
6. Be Mindful of Xenoestrogens and Other Hormone Disruptors
As we saw at the beginning of this article, there are various ways in which we are unknowingly exposed to estrogen.
So, when it comes to eliminating estrogen dominance naturally, incorporate as many of the following suggestions as you can:
- Switch to less toxic skin care and makeup brands. Two that I really like are S.W. Basics and AnnMarie Skin Care.
- For feminine care products like pads and tampons, make the switch to brands that use organic cotton. Two brands that I use and enjoy are Cora and Natracare.
- Eat more wild-caught fish instead of farmed fish.
- Add more organic produce into your diet. If budget is a concern, start by following the Clean 15 and Dirty Dozen lists. These lists are released every year and they show the 15 foods that are lowest in pesticides (you can buy these in non-organic form) and the 12 that contain the most pesticides (you’re better off buying these in organic form).
- Use a water filter such as the Zero Water filter (my personal go-to for the past 4 years!) to remove toxins.
- Since the estrogen in soy can be problematic for some women, try eating more fermented forms of soy: natto, miso, tempeh, Tamari sauce (fermented soy sauce).
- Explore non-pill forms of birth control, such as condoms, the diaphragm, or fertility awareness methods.
7. Make Time to De-Stress, Decompress and Recharge
Whether it’s going for a walk, journaling, watching a funny movie, meditating, brunch with friends…make time for the things that de-stress, decompress and recharge you.
By doing this, you are better equipped – physically, emotionally and mentally – to face the various forms of stress that you’re exposed to.
Ultimately, this keeps your cortisol levels low, which prevents disruption of estrogen (and your other sex hormones) as we saw earlier in this article.
Not sure where to start with de-stressing?
Try these self care tips for hormone balance.
SAMPLE DIET FOR YOUR ESTROGEN DOMINANCE TREATMENT PLAN
Now that we’ve covered all the basics of how to eliminate estrogen dominance naturally, it’s time to put it all into action!
To help you get started, I’ve put together a comprehensive post that walks you through what you need for a hormone balancing diet.
You get a breakdown of foods to eat, supplements, herbs and a few download (shopping list and some smoothie recipes included).
For more details, visit this post on how to put together a hormone balance diet plan.
In summary, the key to getting rid of estrogen dominance naturally is to:
- take supplements that help you metabolize estrogen.
- eat foods that flush out excess estrogen.
- use essential oils that reduce estrogen.
- add liver-friendly foods and herbs to your diet.
- boost gut health.
- reduce exposure to hormone disruptors.
- manage stress as best you can.
I hope this post and the free diet plan help you to kickstart your transformation!
Now I’d like to hear from you: what are the top 3 things you can start doing today to beat estrogen dominance?
Drop a comment below!